Lectin proteins and their harmful effects
Lectin protein: What is that?
The chemical that plants (vegetables, fruits, grains, beans and herbs) contain in order to protect themselves. Integrated defense system to survive. These proteins trigger negative responses to those who come into contact with them. Most food contains lectin, so it does not mean we should skip all that contains lectin, but avoid lectin rich foods and learn how we can reduce its effects on the body. Glutein is for example of of the lectin proteins.
In people this protein sticks to cell membranes and
- Damages nerves/ kills cells
- Thickens the blood
- Changes the gene expression
- Irritates the endocrine system
- Causes inflammatory condition
This is especially true for people with autoimmune and chronic conditions, that is to say people who are already weakened.
Foods which contain the most lectin:
BEANS are the nicest of these options
GRAINS are alright if they are glutein free, wheat germ inorganic flour is the worst.
NIGHTSHADE FAMILY such as tomato, eggplant, pepper, potato and goji berry
It is possible to treat some foods to reduce the effect of lectin proteins, so it is not necessary to cut all of these foods from the diet. The best ways to reduce its effects are to:
- Leave it soaking in water, even replace the water often, and with baking soda.
- Germinate/ sprout
- Sour dough
- Pressure pot, for beans and glutein free grains (does not work for glutein grains, such as wheat, barley, oats and rye). Boiling in a pressure pot completely removes the lectin protein.
- Peel or take the seeds from vegetables or fruits.
Lectin is considered to be a major component in:
- Heart problems
- Senile dementia
- Anaphylaxis, autoimmune descises
- IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
- Hashimotos, a type of thyroidism
NOTE: HEALTHY PEOPLE DO NOT NEED TO CONSIDER THIS
People whose traditions are to eat grain and beans always use pressure cookers. I feel we were cheated a bit in this aspect. Everyone forgot to mention that cooking with pressure cookers was necessary. I had heard many years ago that it was healthier but did not know why. Now we know.
1 ) Dr. Gundry
2) Dr. Mercola